Equality California/Equality California Institute
Digital Consultant or Manager
Equality California (EQCA) is the nation’s largest statewide lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights organization with over 800,000 members. EQCA’s mission is to achieve full and lasting equality, acceptance, and social justice for members of the LGBT community. Through its legislative work, EQCA has successfully sponsored 118 pieces of pro-equality legislation cementing California as the state with broadest LGBT-civil rights protections in the country. EQCA strives to create a broad and diverse alliance of LGBT people, educators, government officials, communities of color and faith, labor, business, and social justice communities to achieve our goals.
Equality California Institute (EQCAI), EQCA’s sister organization, is a 501(c)3 organization that utilizes advocacy, education, and mobilization programs to promote full and lasting equality and acceptance of LGBT people, improve the health and well-being of the LGBT community, and to educate the broader community on important LGBT related issues such as marriage equality, healthcare, health disparities, and immigration. Over the last five years, EQCAI has spearheaded successful programs to tackle these issues, including multiple public education campaigns, such as: Let California Ring, Fair Share for Equality, the Breakthrough Conversations Project, Health Happens with Equality, Transform California, Equality4All and #TakeIt: I’m PreP’d.
Hours: A digital consultant would work approximately 15-20 hours a week, preferably 2-3 days a week. A full-time digital manager would work approximately 40-50 hours a week with occasional night and weekends.
The Digital Consultant or Manager would be responsible for building digital campaigns to advance EQCA/I’s current work. Current programs and issues include expanding healthcare access, immigration, HIV/AIDS advocacy and prevention, transgender rights, safe and supportive schools, leadership development, passing pro-equality legislation and electing supportive candidates to office. EQCA/I’s expanded mission includes an intersectional approach to issues, as well as working with a wide range of institutions such as schools, businesses, unions, religious congregations, health clinics, and LGBT centers. You’ll develop and maintain email programs, social media campaigns, online fundraising pushes and digital storytelling efforts, so the ideal candidate should be a jack-of-all-trades with extensive experience in – and a passion for – digital campaigning. This position would be based in our Los Angeles office and will be supervised by the Deputy Director.
- Drives the digital storytelling narrative of EQCA/I’s broad programs by identifying compelling messengers and drafting stories for the website, blog and social media highlighting the need for full LGBT equality.
- Creates email strategies for EQCAI/I, including drafting copy, coding and tracking metrics for communications with campaign email lists.
- Develops social media strategies aimed at quickly growing and motivating core audiences and persuading new supporters to join our effort.
- Manages multiple campaigns’ CRM (customer/constituent relationship management) system, including oversight of membership lists, online actions, online fundraising pages and other functions as needed.
- Manages the creation and day-to-day maintenance of campaign websites, overseeing the web design and programming teams.
- Designs and implements online fundraising strategies.
- Designs and implements rapid list growth strategies, with a focus on online advertising.
Applicants for this position should bring the following knowledge, abilities, and attitude:
- Knowledge, passion and commitment to addressing issues impacting the LGBT community as well as advancing equality and social justice generally.
- Commitment to working across lines of difference including race, class, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and age to achieve objectives.
- Ability and interest to work with a wide range of organizations and institutions including other LGBT groups, schools, unions, religious congregations, and other social justice and advocacy organizations. Demonstrated experience with at least some of these types of organizations preferred.
- Strong writing ability, with a demonstrated experience to master rigorous messaging guidelines.
- 3-5 years experience managing campaign email programs, including drafting copy and setting overall strategy.
- Experience with multiple CRM and website platforms, including BSD Tools and WordPress.
- Knowledge of and experience in implementing social media campaigns.
- Prior experience managing online advertising campaigns to grow email lists and generate donations.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize work and remain flexible on multiple, high-paced campaigns.
- Attention to measurable results.
- Strong work ethic and willingness to work occasional nights and weekends as needed.
- Willingness to travel occasionally as needed.
- 3-5 years experience of managing digital campaigns required.
Salary will be based on experience. This full-time position or part-time consultant position will be based out of our Los Angeles office and will require occasional travel as needed.
We strongly encourage people of color, people of diverse gender identities, women, and non-LGBT persons to apply.
Email resume (including names and contact of 3 references), cover letter and a two relevant digital writing sample to Tony Hoang at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to put “Digital Consultant or Digital Manager” in the subject line of your email.