Equality California – Paid Internship
Location: Downtown Los Angeles, California
Equality California (EQCA) is the largest statewide lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights organization focused on creating a fair and just society. Our mission is to achieve and maintain full and lasting equality, acceptance, and social justice for all people in our diverse LGBT communities, inside and outside of California. Our mission includes advancing the health and well-being of LGBT Californians through advocacy, outreach, education, and direct healthcare and social service programs.
Our new mission places emphasis on addressing the significant disparities LGBT people face compared to the broad community, and interns will be involved in much work related to this. These disparities include disproportionately high rates of poverty, suicide, homeless, isolation, HIV/AIDS, substance abuse, violence, police profiling, and low rates of health insurance.
Through electoral, advocacy, education and mobilization programs, we strive to create a broad and diverse alliance of LGBT people, educators, government officials, communities of color and faith, labor, business, and social justice communities to achieve our goals.
Interns will gain experience in one/some/all of the following departments depending on their interests: political, communications, field, legislative advocacy, programs, and development.
- Demonstrate a strong passion for LGBT equality and civil rights.
- Strong writing and research ability.
- Ability to be a team player and work in a highly collaborative environment.
- Ability to work effectively with people of diverse ethnicities, race, age, gender identity, and sexual orientation.
- Prior experience working in the LGBT community is a plus.
- Help build visible support for LGBT equality.
- Engage our members to ensure our pieces of legislation are enacted into law.
- Participate in organizing political outreach actions for EQCA’s PAC-endorsed candidates for federal, state, and local offices.
- Conduct research on various existing or potential pieces of legislation related to the LGBT community.
- Coordinate public education activities around topics like the health care, immigration reform, improved data collection, school safety, violence against the transgender community, etc.
Terms of Internship
- Internships are provided on a Quarterly and Semester basis depending on the interns’ academic calendar. Interns should be able to intern between 8-20 hours a week.
- There will be a $1000 stipend per intern.
- Equality California is an equal opportunity employer. LGBT, women, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please email: a resume, cover letter & any references to Brad Lundahl at email@example.com
Please title subject heading of email: EQCA Internship – Your Name