Equality California/Equality California Institute
Phone Banker Job Description
Equality California (EQCA) is the nation’s largest statewide lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) civil rights organization with over 800,000 members. EQCA’s mission is to achieve full and lasting equality, acceptance, and social justice for members of the LGBT community. Through its legislative work, EQCA has successfully sponsored 112 pieces of pro-equality legislation cementing California as the state with broadest LGBT-civil rights protections in the country. EQCA strives to create a broad and diverse alliance of LGBT people, educators, government officials, communities of color and faith, labor, business, and social justice communities to achieve our goals.
Equality California Institute (EQCAI), EQCA’s sister organization, is a 501(c)3 organization that utilizes advocacy, education, and mobilization programs to promote full and lasting equality and acceptance of LGBT people, improve the health and well-being of the LGBT community, and to educate the broader community on important LGBT related issues such as marriage equality, healthcare, health disparities, and immigration. Over the last five years, EQCAI has spearheaded successful programs to tackle these issues, including multiple public education campaigns, such as: Let California Ring, Fair Share for Equality, the Breakthrough Conversations Project, Health Happens with Equality, Transform California, Equality4All and #TakeIt: I’m PreP’d.
Start Date: ASAP
Job Type: Part-Time
Position Overview: We are hiring phone bankers to support pro-equality candidates and promote LGBT equality throughout California. A strong commitment to LGBT rights and social justice is a must.
Days/ Hours: Mon, Tues, Thur: 3PM-9PM / Wed, Fri 10AM-4PM. Occasional other shifts available, scheduled in advance with bonus incentives.
- Engage with Equality California members and other pro-equality supporters, educating them on LGBT issues and candidates over the phone. Depending on the campaign, you may be required to make fundraising appeals as well. Robust training will be provided.
- Consistently show up on time for all weekly shifts (at least four shifts a week)
Applicants for this position should bring the following knowledge, abilities, and attitude:
- Knowledge, passion and commitment to addressing issues impacting the LGBT community as well as advancing equality and social justice.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills on the phone
- Ability to memorize a short script and adjust as needed to audience
- Ability to meet reasonable number of dials per night and/or fundraising quotas
- Basic computer skills
- Able to sit and/or walk for long periods of time, breaks are provided every 1.5 hours and when needed.
- Punctuality—shifts have pre-set start times
- Positive attitude, detail-oriented, highly motivated, and organized
- Ability to work respectfully with people of all cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Supportive of mission and philosophy of Equality California
- Previous canvassing experience (doors, phones, or both), in either a paid or unpaid capacity, is preferred but not required.
Salary: $13+/hour plus generous bonus incentive
These part-time positions will be based out of our Los Angeles office and will require a flexible schedule including evening and weekend work time.
We strongly encourage people of color, people of diverse gender identities, women, and non-LGBT persons to apply.
To apply: Email resume (including names and contact of 2 references) and a cover letter to Tony Hoang at email@example.com. Please be sure to put “LA Phone Banker” in the subject line of your email.