(Sacramento) In a big election year, Equality California, the largest statewide lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender advocacy organization in California, today rolled out a list of 100 percent pro-equality candidates, including 35 incumbents and a new endorsement for Andy Katz in Assembly District 15 and Autumn Burke in AD 62.
Katz, who is bisexual, currently serves as an elected board member of the East Bay Municipal Utility District. He joins previously endorsed gay candidates Evan Low in AD 28, David Campos in AD 17, and Speaker of the Assembly John A. Pérez for Controller. If elected, Campos, Katz and Low would join the LGBT Legislative Caucus.
“As we move toward full equality, one thing is obvious: our community will always need political power,” said John O’Connor, EQCA executive director. “We’re glad that we have the opportunity to maintain, or possibly grow, the LGBT Legislative Caucus with several new faces.”
EQCA also endorsed Autumn Burke for AD 62. Burke came to support full equality for LGBT people after seeing firsthand the struggles that friends in the LGBT community face. She has pledged to support all of EQCA’s current legislative priorities.
Finally, EQCA endorsed an additional 35 incumbent candidates with perfect 100-percent pro-equality scores. It is EQCA PAC's policy to endorse incumbent candidates with a voting record of 100 percent on EQCA-sponsored legislation.
"These lawmakers are the backbone of our legislative work, and we're incredibly proud to endorse all of them for another term," said O'Connor. "As we look to enlarge our pro-equality majority in 2014, these candidates give us a solid foundation to continue building a state of equality."
The endorsed candidates are:
- Senator Kevin de León
- Senator Ed Hernandez
- Senator Ben Hueso
- Senator Holly Mitchell
- Assembly Member Luis Alejo
- Assembly Member Toni Atkins
- Assembly Member Richard Bloom
- Assembly Member Raul Bocanegra
- Assembly Member Susan Bonilla
- Assembly Member Rob Bonta
- Assembly Member Ian Calderon
- Assembly Member Nora Campos
- Assembly Member Ed Chau
- Assembly Member Susan Eggman
- Assembly Member Jim Frazier
- Assembly Member Cristina Garcia
- Assembly Member Mike Gatto
- Assembly Member Jimmy Gomez
- Assembly Member Lorena Gonzalez
- Assembly Member Rich Gordon
- Assembly Member Chris Holden
- Assembly Member Reggie Jones-Sawyer
- Assembly Member Marc Levine
- Assembly Member Jose Medina
- Assembly Member Kevin Mullin
- Assembly Member Al Muratsuchi
- Assembly Member Adrin Nazarian
- Assembly Member Henry Perea
- Assembly Member Bill Quirk
- Assembly Member Sharon Quirk-Silva
- Assembly Member Anthony Rendon
- Assembly Member Mark Stone
- Assembly Member Phil Ting
- Assembly Member Shirley Weber
- Assembly Member Das Williams
The Equality California Political Action Committee endorses viable candidates running for statewide offices and the state legislature who have a proven track record of supporting equal rights and legal protections for LGBT Californians and who are committed to advancing these goals in their capacity as elected officials.
Equality California (EQCA) is the largest statewide lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender advocacy organization in California. For more than a decade, Equality California has strategically moved California from a state with extremely limited legal protections for LGBT individuals to a state with some of the most comprehensive protections in the nation. Equality California has partnered with legislators to successfully pass 96 pieces of pro-equality legislation and continues to advance equality through legislative advocacy, electoral work, public education and community empowerment. www.eqca.org