|EQUALITY CALIFORNIA ANNOUNCES NEW BOARD MEMBERS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE January 23, 2014
CONTACT: Jesse Melgar, Equality California
PHONE: 323.848.9801 ext. 207
EQUALITY CALIFORNIA ANNOUNCES NEW BOARD MEMBERS
(Los Angeles) Equality California and Equality California Institute are proud to announce the election of nine new board members: five to the board of Equality California and four to the board of Equality California’s educational affiliate, Equality California Institute. Each new board member will serve a three year term.
“We are incredibly fortunate to gain the expertise and dedication of these new additions to our boards of directors,” said Equality California Executive Director John O’Connor. “Each of them has a diverse set of skills, experience and relationships that they have committed to helping advance EQCA’s vision of a California in which all people of all sexual orientations, gender identities and gender expressions enjoy full equality, opportunity, health, safety and respect.”
The new members of the Equality California board are:
- Andrea Casalett, associate attorney at McKenna Long & Aldridge, LLP in the firm’s Litigation practice group, from San Francisco.
- Laurie Hasencamp, retired lawyer and former interim executive director of EQCA, from Los Angeles.
- Sam S. Leslie, managing partner of LEA Accountancy, LLP, from Los Angeles.
- Michael Sporn, director of business development at U.S. Legal Support, from San Francisco.
- Rick Zbur, senior partner at Latham & Watkins LLP, and president of the California League of Conservation Voters, from Los Angeles.
The new board members of the Equality California Institute board are:
- Beth Collins-Burgard, shareholder at Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck in the firm’s Natural Resources, Real Estate, Land Use, and Litigation practice groups, from Santa Barbara.
- David B. Cruz, professor of constitutional law at the University of Southern California Gould School of Law, from Los Angeles.
- Ryan Harlow-Nakano, vice president at Bank of America Merrill Lynch, from Laguna Beach.
- Stephen Macias, managing partner of Macias Media Group, from Los Angeles.
Equality California (EQCA) is the largest statewide
lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender advocacy organization in California.
Over the past decade, Equality California has strategically moved California
from a state with extremely limited legal protections for lesbian, gay,
bisexual and transgender people to a state with some of the most comprehensive
human rights protections in the nation. Equality California has partnered with
legislators to successfully sponsor 96 pieces of pro-equality
legislation. EQCA continues to advance equality through legislative advocacy,
electoral work, public education and community empowerment. www.eqca.org
Equality California Institute (EQCAI) educates lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people and the public at large about issues impacting the LGBT community and our allies. Established in 2000, EQCAI organizes and empowers individuals, communities and allied groups to work proactively for fairness, equality and justice. www.eqcai.org