Position: Legislative Manager (Sacramento)
Salary: Based on Experience
Type: Full-Time, Exempt
Start: As soon as possible
Closing date of this position: Open until filled
Equality California (EQCA) is the nation’s largest statewide lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) civil rights organization with over 800,000 members. Equality California brings the voices of LGBTQ people and allies to institutions of power in California and across the United States, striving to create a world that is healthy, just, and fully equal for all LGBTQ people. We advance civil rights and social justice by inspiring, advocating, and mobilizing through an inclusive movement that works tirelessly on behalf of those we serve. Through its legislative work, EQCA has successfully sponsored 140 pieces of pro-equality legislation cementing California as the state with strongest LGBTQ-civil rights protections in the country.
Equality California Institute (EQCAI) is a 501(c)3 organization that has a parallel mission statement to EQCAI, its 501(c)4 counterpart. EQCAI educates the broader community on important LGBTQ issues such as transgender equality, violence and hate crimes, healthcare, health disparities, the needs of LGBTQ seniors and youth, homelessness and immigration. Over the last five years, EQCAI has spearheaded successful programs to tackle these issues, including multiple public education campaigns, such as Transform California, Equality4All, #Take It, I’m PrEPed, Let California Ring, Fair Share for Equality, the Breakthrough Conversations Project, and Health Happens with Equality.
The Legislative Manager will have the opportunity to spearhead Equality California’s legislative advocacy both substantively and administratively, as well as potentially participate in electoral work for pro-LGBTQ candidates and community engagement throughout California.
The Legislative Manager will work directly under the supervision of the Outside Legislative Director and Managing Director while providing assistance to other departments based on need. May be called upon to attend meetings or events outside of the office as needed.
The Legislative Manager’s essential functions may include any or all of the following:
• Independently identify and develop the organization’s sponsored bill ideas.
• Draft and advocate for up to ten priority bills and/or budget items, including EQCA-sponsored legislation.
• Represent EQCA through the legislative process: advocate, consult, and negotiate with legislators and their staff, committee consultants, administrative department heads and their staff, and other stakeholders involved in the legislative process including other LGBTQ organizations.
• Analyze and develop policy position on complex legislative and budget proposals that may impact LGBTQ people. Testify as appropriate at legislative committee hearings.
• Provide presentations on LGBTQ issues to the EQCA Board of Directors, at policy conferences, and in the community.
• Assist with planning and execution of EQCA’s annual lobby day and grassroots lobbying events at the Capitol.
• Organize, train, and develop easy to understand materials on complex legislative matters for grassroots constituencies.
• Represent EQCA with selected agencies, task forces, committees, coalitions, and community-based organizations related to areas of responsibility.
• Represent EQCA in the media on areas of expertise and work with Communications Director to identify legislative matters for the media, assist with developing press releases, and other press related materials.
• May supervise and mentor legislative assistant and interns.
• Other duties as assigned.
• B.A. required. J.D. or advanced degree in relevant fields such as public policy, public administration, or other subjects that provide foundation in legal analysis, lobbying, and drafting of legislation is preferred.
• At least two years of experience working in legislative advocacy, legislative staffing, or public policy development required.
• Working knowledge of the legislative process and budget process in California required.
• Experience and ability to work effectively with a variety of organizations and individuals with diverse perspectives, the public, elected and appointed officials, community members, and governmental agencies, especially at the state and local levels required.
• Strong research, writing, and oral communication skills required.
• Demonstrated ability to independently analyze complex legislative proposals and develop organizational positions regarding proposed legislation required.
• Knowledge of LGBTQ issues and/or experience working with the LGBTQ community strongly preferred.
• Contacts with LGBTQ organizations or within LGBTQ communities strongly preferred.
Salary will be based on experience. This position will be based out of the Sacramento office and may require evening and weekend work time on occasion.
Equality California is an equal employment opportunity employer. Equality California does not make employment decisions or discriminate based on protected characteristics including, but not limited to, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sex, gender (including gender identity and/or gender expression), sexual orientation, age, physical or mental handicaps, veteran status, or genetic information as prescribed by applicable local, state, and federal law. We strongly encourage diverse candidates to apply, including, but not limited to, women, people of color, people of diverse gender identities, and non-LGBTQ allies.
Email resume (including names and contact of three references), cover letter and salary requirements to Tony Hoang at email@example.com. Please be sure to put “Legislative Manager” in the subject line of your email.